A New Canaan Fire Department vehicle while responding to a call on Monday night became stuck in a long, shared driveway on Mill Road that had not been cleared since a recent winter storm, officials said.
Because the first NCFD engine became stuck in the driveway at 208 Mill Road—just over the Wilton town line—additional apparatus could not reach the home, according to New Canaan Fire Marshal Fred Baker.
“Firefighters had to hand carry gear and equipment and water fire extinguishers to the scene,” Baker said. “Fortunately the fire was very small and firefighters were able to extinguish using portable water fire extinguishers and a garden hose.”
No one was injured.
The call came in at 10:06 p.m. from a homeowner alerted by smoke alarms and smoke, according to the fire marshal.
The fire had been caused by embers falling down a crack between the hearth and an extension of the fireplace, reaching a wood structure below that started to smolder, Baker said.
Mutual aid units from Wilton, Norwalk and Stamford, as well as Pound Ridge and Vista, N.Y. responded to assist, he said.