Citing Monday morning’s expected steady rains, town officials shortened the Memorial Day Parade route.
As happened last year, the re-routed parade will see veterans, marching bands, town officials and members of community organizations (see “line of march” below) start at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church at 9:30 a.m. and then turn up toward Park Street at the Wayside Cross and down toward Town Hall.
This year’s grand marshal is World War II veteran and New Canaan resident Frank Gallo, according to Peter Langenus, commander of VFW Post 653.
The guest speaker is Jim Talbot, a local ophthalmologist who had served in Vietnam. Weather-permitting, Talbot will address crowds at the new north entrance to Town Hall—otherwise, the ceremony and address will be held in the Town Meeting Room, with limited seating, officials say.
Line of march:
1. Grand Marshal
4. Veteran Trailer
5. Town Band
6. Town Officials
7. Clergy – The First Presbyterian Church
8. Police Department
9. US Naval Sea Cadets Corps
10. Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR)
11. Girl Scouts & Brownies
12. Knights of Columbus
13. Boy Scouts & Cub Scouts
14. New Canaan Volunteer Ambulance Corps
15. Mount Kisco Scottish Bagpipers
16. Fire Department
17. Vista Fire Department
18. CERT – Community Emergency Response Team
19. New Canaan Mounted Troop
20. New Canaan Historical Society
21. New Canaan High School Band
22. New Canaan Baseball
23. New Canaan Softball
24. YMCA Guides & Princesses
25. Staying Put in New Canaan
26. GetAbout Van
27. Town of New Canaan Department of Public Works (DPW)