Fire Marshal: Lakeview Avenue Fire Resulted from Dehumidifier That Had Been Recalled

Print More

Kenmore dehumidifier model 407.52301210 has been recalled. Credit: CPSC

The recent fire on Lakeview Avenue was most likely the result of a malfunctioning dehumidifier that was subject to a recall.  Fortunately no one was hurt, however, the homeowner has had to relocate while cleanup crews scrub the sooty, black smoke that migrated throughout her home.  

The same night, a home in Ridgefield suffered an almost identical fire with a dehumidifier.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission actually first issued the Gree Dehumidifier recall back in 2013 and subsequently updated it in 2016.

The recall covers many popular brands manufactured by Gree such as Kenmore, De’Longhi, Fedders, Frigidaire, GE, Gree, Seabreeze and, several others.  

To find out if your unit is covered under the recall, please see this page. You will be directed to information on which units are subject to the recall. You can also visit this page, part of the Fire Marshal’s area on New Canaan’s municipal website. 

If you have one of these units or if unsure, unplug it immediately.  

For further questions please contact the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office at 203-594-3030.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *