Father Charged with Interfering with 9-1-1 Call During Youth Drinking Party Pleads Not Guilty

The children of a New Canaan man arrested following an underage drinking party at his house have been subjected to bullying online and in person, his attorney told a state Superior Court judge on Thursday.

According to New Canaan-based attorney Matthew Maddox, Douglas Knight has been the object of “public shaming” so severe that it has “deleteriously impacted” his 18-year-old and minor children.

Since Knight’s widely publicized arrest in May following the March 25 drinking party at his Oenoke Ridge Road house, both of his children have been “approached by adults,” including strangers, who brazenly criticize and vilify their dad, Maddox told Judge Alex Hernandez during an arraignment.

The comments came as Maddox objected to a TV station—cable News 12, whose studio operates out of New Jersey—shooting video of the hearing.

Hernandez said that while he sympathizes with Maddox, the Practice Book and case law in Connecticut allows for such media coverage.

Wearing a dark suit, white shirt and red-and-black tie, Knight pleaded not guilty to interfering with an emergency call. Assistant State’s Attorney Kate Donahue is prosecuting the case.

He’s accused of urging those at a youth party in his home—a gathering that started while he and his wife were out—to not call 9-1-1 even though a juvenile had been seriously injured there.

Maddox has told NewCanaanite.com that more investigation is needed in the case, saying the Knights have cooperated fully with police, allowing officers into their home on the night of the party and to gather photos and video there.

Knight’s 18-year-old son, charged with providing alcohol to minors and permitting a minor to possess alcohol, last month received approval from the court to enter a program that will see charges dropped next year if he completes it.

The elder Knight’s case was continued to Aug. 25.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *