New Canaan Police are investigating a report received at 7:09 p.m. on Aug. 17 of a purse and wallet stolen from an unlocked vehicle parked at Waveny. A purse and wallet were stolen, with credit cards used.
Tickets are available for Planet New Canaan’s second annual Green Gala, to be held 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Sept. 14 at Carriage Barn Arts Center. It will feature live music, open bar and hors d’oeuvres, local celebrity guest bartenders, silent auction and sustainable awards presentation. Tickets here.
As of Wednesday, New Canaan Library’s sensor-activated water bottle filler had saved more than 3,000 plastic bottles.
Reminder that tickets are on sale for Lobsterfest 2023, scheduled for Sept. 29 and 30 at the Steve Benko Pool in Waveny. Lobsterfest is a major fundraiser for the New Canaan Rotary Club, a service organization that distributes all proceeds to area nonprofit organizations through its annual grant-making program. More background here.
A vehicle reported stolen at 10:36 a.m. on Aug. 17 from a Park Place residence (keys left inside) has been recovered in Bridgeport, police said.
New Canaan High School is the #2 ranked public high school in Connecticut, according to Niche.com, behind only Staples in Westport. The New Canaan Public Schools district also is ranked #2 behind Westport (Greenwich is #3, Darien #4).
This will be a great night: The Fairfield County Trauma Response Team is hosting its first fundraiser, “Beyond the Call: Supporting the Mental Health of First Responders,” on the evening of Thursday, Oct. 12 at Waveny House. Here’s some background on the organization. More details on the fundraiser here.
Police are investigating a report of mail stolen from a Weed Street home, received at 10:31 a.m. on Aug. 18.
The Carriage Barn Arts Center is offering The Art Of Collage adult workshop on Saturday. The gallery re-opens for the 2023/24 season with the Annual Member Show opening Sept. 9 and “State of Mind” by Dunia Barrera in the annex gallery.
Members of the Norwalk and New Canaan state legislative delegations, led by State Rep. Lucy Dathan (D-142nd), are hosting a “Hygiene Product Drive” from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturday, to support efforts by New Canaan-founded nonprofit organization Filling in the Blanks to help individuals in the community with essential products for their regular personal care. It will be held at Filling in the Blanks, 346 Main Avenue #3A in Norwalk. Here are the items that the group is collecting:
- Shampoo (15-20 oz bottle)
- Conditioner (15-20 oz bottle)
- Bar soap
- Plastic soap holders
- Toothpaste (full size)
- Women’s & Men’s Deodorant
- Sanitary Pads/Maxi Pads
- Laundry Detergent (travel size)
- 7th Annual Community Addiction Awareness Vigil (August 30 @ 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm)
- Opening Reception for “State of Mind” Exhibition: Collages by Dunia Barrera at the Carriage Barn Arts Center, Annex Gallery (September 1 @ 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm)
- Chair Dance: Therapeutic and Fun Movement with Claudia Devita (September 7 @ 2:00 pm – 2:45 pm)
- Introduction to Copperplate Calligraphy (September 9 @ 10:00 am – 1:00 pm)
- Screening of “The First Monday in May” Documentary Film followed by Q&A with the Creative Producer (September 10 @ 2:30 pm – 5:00 pm)
- Author Talk: Fred Landman Presents Sleepy Cat Farm (September 24 @ 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm)
- Fall Fair 2023 (September 29 @ 5:00 pm – 9:00 pm)