On Thursday, some 18 New Canaan nonprofit organizations will participate in a 24-hour fundraising blitz known as Giving Day.
Hosted by the Fairfield County Community Foundation under the slogan “Give Where You Live” and with a goal of raising $1 million on a single day, Giving Day invites donors to give at least $10 to as many charities as they can.
The organization that has the most individual donations will win an extra $25,000, while the organization that raises the most money will get another $20,000 (more information on prizes is available here).
We asked participating local nonprofits to send us a single sentence communicating to NewCanaanite.com readers why they’re a great candidate for a donation on this day. Here are the New Canaan nonprofits, according to the Giving Day website, with their responses (those agencies that have not yet responded can email me directly at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will update this story):
- A Better Chance of New Canaan: “The mission of the ABC of New Canaan is to offer capable minority youth the opportunity to learn in a superior educational program while also preparing them to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in American society.”
- Carriage Barn Arts Center/New Canaan Society for the Arts: “Please support the New Canaan Society for the Arts/Carriage Barn Arts Center on this Fairfield County Giving Day and help us fulfill our goal of providing exceptional art exhibitions, accessible children’s art education, and cultural programs.”
- Filling in the Blanks: “Your support will allow FILLING IN THE BLANKS to provide over 300 hungry children with meals on the weekend.”
- Future 5: “Now with over 100 active members, Future 5 is helping motivated, low income high school students stay on track and connect to their full potential.”
- Hungry Kidzz: “We provide weekend bags of food during the summer, a 4th of July ‘Freedom (barbecue) Box’ and 1000s of holiday stockings in December.”
- Kids Empowered by Your Support
- New Canaan CARES
- New Canaan Historical Society
- New Canaan Land Trust: “Saving and caring for New Canaans natural open space forever.”
- New Canaan Outback Teen Center
- Silver Hill Hospital: “Please open your heart and give the gift of hope and courage to a patient in need of treatment at Silver Hill Hospital by supporting our Patient Scholarship Fund.”
- Silvermine Guild of Artists
- Southern CT Storm Special Hockey
- Staying Put in New Canaan
- Strays & Others: “Each donation to Strays & Others, Inc., a volunteer-run nonprofit, can be life-saving to a homeless dog or cat (or other animal in need) because it helps us to provide rescue, food, medical care and shelter until loving and suitable homes can be found—each donation matters because every life matters.”
- Summer Theatre of New Canaan
- Voices of September 11th: “Whether it is those impacted by 9/11 or by other traumatic events, victims’ families and survivors—as well as those who bravely respond—often require a variety of support services.”