New Canaan Library and the public schools closed Thursday in anticipation of a winter storm that ended up dumping about five to nine inches of snow on the town overnight, according to the National Weather Service, with more to come in the morning.
Public buildings including Town Hall, and some local businesses such as Bankwell and Ciel Eau Day Spa, also are closed Thursday.
“Due to the inclement weather, all Town Buildings will be closed 12/17/20 except for Police, Fire, EMS and Public Works,” according to a bulletin on the town website’s calendar. “Town employees, who are able, will be working remotely and will be available via email and voicemail.”
The Weather Service’s Winter Storm Warning as of about 5:30 a.m. Thursday called for six to 11 inches total. What started as a light snow amid high winds turned into a heavier, wet snowfall overnight, creating even more hazardous driving conditions. New Canaan Police Department is urging residents to stay off the road so that road crews and emergency responders can work.
Temperatures are forecast to remain below freezing through Friday.
No New Canaan homes were without power as of 5:40 a.m. Thursday, according to Eversource.
In an email to parents, Superintendent of Schools Dr. Bryan Luizzi said: “It has taken enormous effort and resolve to keep our schools safe and our doors open since August 30th, and unless the weather is even worse than expected, we’ll be back at it on Friday. But that’s a whole day away. [Thursday], I hope you and your family can relax, enjoy the day together, and make some lifelong family memories filled with love and joy.”
It wasn’t immediately clear whether Town Hall would open Thursday or on what schedule.
Here’s a look at what’s open and closed:
- Walter Stewart’s Market—10am to 7pm
- Stewart’s Wine & Spirits—10am to 7pm
- Francos Wine Merchants—10:00AM-6:00PM
- Karl Chevrolet—Service and Parts- 8am-5pm; Sales- 8am-7pm
- New Canaan Music—10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- New Canaan Toy Store—12 to 6 p.m.
- Cherry Street East—closed Wednesday and open Thursday for dinner
- Gates—11:30 AM to 10:00 PM
- Spiga—11:30 AM to 9:00 PM
- Ski & Sport—open at 11 a.m.
- Chef Luis Restaurant—12 to 9 pm
- Goldenberry—2-4 pm
- Morgenthal Frederics—12 to 6 p.m.
- New Canaan Library
- New Canaan Public Schools
- Ciel Eau Day Spa
- New Canaan YMCA (closed until 12 p.m. Thursday)
- Brad & Vandy Reh Fine Jewelry
Local businesses and organizations, please use the form embedded below to share your plans for Thursday and we’ll get the information to the community.
[Note: NewCanaanite.com will update this article Thursday with new information on local closures, road conditions and snowfall amounts.]