Firefighters early Wednesday morning responded to a structure fire on Hoyt Street that appears to have been caused by cats climbing onto a stove, accidentally switching on the gas with combustibles nearby, officials say. Units arriving at 75 Hoyt St. reported light smoke at the 1911-built Colonial with all occupants out of the home, according to Fire Marshal Fred Baker. “The homeowners were extremely lucky as there were no working smoke detectors present in the home,” Baker said. EMTs from the New Canaan Volunteer Ambulance Corps treated the home’s occupants on scene for minor smoke inhalation, while New Canaan Police handled traffic control on the short residential street near the downtown, Baker said. Continue Reading →
Update 7:21 p.m.
Power has been restored to nearly all New Canaan homes, according to Eversource. Update 6:38 p.m.
Eversource officials say they expect power in New Canaan to be restored by 8 p.m. Sunday. Original Article
More than 1,000 New Canaan homes lost power late Sunday afternoon after a pole-mount transformer blew on Smith Ridge Road following a single-car crash. A sedan traveling southbound on Smith Ridge Road appears to have crossed into the oncoming traffic lane just south of Canoe Hill Road, clipped a guy wire that flipped into the primary, then crashed through the stone wall and into Hannan Field, according to officials at the scene. The accident occurred around 4:39 p.m., according to fire dispatch records. Continue Reading →
Filed under:, , , , ,
Change your clocks—change your batteries. As it seems that this interminable winter will never end, we look for signs that better (that is, warmer) weather is approaching. One of those is the beginning of Daylight Savings Time which starts this weekend, officially at 2 a.m. on Sunday, March 12. (Remember: “spring ahead, fall back.”)
In concert with the nationwide campaign “Change Your Clocks—Change Your Batteries,” the New Canaan Fire Department wants to remind everyone to change the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms.
“There is no greater tragedy than one that could have been prevented.” —I can’t take credit for this statement however, I could not agree more and the tragedy of home fires with the devastation they create is a perfect example. And when the prevention is as easy as installing and maintaining smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, it becomes more ironic. Continue Reading →
Filed under:, , ,
New Canaan firefighters on Friday afternoon responded to a structure fire in the upper story of a River Street duplex. Smoke wafted from an attic ventilation grate and opened window of the fire at 6 River St., the northern half of a duplex at the corner of Brushy Ridge Road. An occupant of the 1970-built duplex phoned 9-1-1 at about 1:46 p.m. to report the fire, according to officials on scene. No one was hurt and it wasn’t immediately clear what started the fire, officials said. In addition to the New Canaan Fire Department, New Canaan Police Department and New Canaan Volunteer Ambulance Corps, responding units include those from the Wilton, Norwalk and Vista, N.Y.
Firefighters arriving on scene saw smoke pushing out of what was discovered to be a very small attic space at the home, which tax records show to have hardwood floors and a wood shingle exterior. Continue Reading →
Filed under:, , , , , , ,
A New Canaan Fire Department vehicle while responding to a call on Monday night became stuck in a long, shared driveway on Mill Road that had not been cleared since a recent winter storm, officials said. Because the first NCFD engine became stuck in the driveway at 208 Mill Road—just over the Wilton town line—additional apparatus could not reach the home, according to New Canaan Fire Marshal Fred Baker. “Firefighters had to hand carry gear and equipment and water fire extinguishers to the scene,” Baker said. “Fortunately the fire was very small and firefighters were able to extinguish using portable water fire extinguishers and a garden hose.”
No one was injured. The call came in at 10:06 p.m. from a homeowner alerted by smoke alarms and smoke, according to the fire marshal. Continue Reading →