DPW Chief: Natural Gas Project 40% Complete, But Repaving Those Roads Waits Till 2020

More
West Avenue utility closure

A stretch of West Avenue closed earlier this month as a utility crew worked.

About 40 percent of the Yankee Gas natural gas expansion project in Darien is complete, town Public Works Director Edward Gentile says, and service should be turned on soon as far east as the Noroton Heights Fire Station, but roads will continue to have temporary paving patches until sometime after July 1, 2020.

A stretch of West Avenue, east of its intersection with Edgerton Street, closed on one side earlier this month as a utility crew worked.

Repaving the roads will wait in order to give time for residents along the gas-main routes to decide whether or not they want to hook up to gas service, Gentile told the Board of Selectmen on Tuesday.

“We have an 18-month ‘sabbatical,’ if you will, for paving the roads to allow them [Yankee Gas, a subsidiary of Eversource] to tie in new customers, so it won’t be done the next budget cycle [2019-2020]. It will get done the following one [2020-2021] — so 2020,” he said.

“Their temporary [paving] restoration right now has to be pristine, because I need to hold on to it for a while, so they’ll be going back and cutting some of the stuff [pavement] now and fixing it,” he said.

When a homeowner decides to get natural gas service, pavement will be broken in order to hook up a line between the house and the gas main.

_________________

See also:

_________________

“They’ve been marketing for about nine months now,” Gentile continued. “What happens though, is there’s always a lot of the residents [who] don’t feel they want to do it this year. But as soon as the word will get around that gas prices, compared to [heating] oil prices and the new [natural gas] equipment [for homes] are going to save them money, you’ll catch a lot of them next summer into next fall [2019], before the winter season comes.”

Paving season is in the warmer months, however, and the town paves roads just after the fiscal years begin, in July.

So far, Gentile said, “Phase 1 is almost complete, where they’re going to energize all the way to the Noroton [Heights] fire house. But the overall project is about 40 percent complete now.”

Where Main Lines Have Been Installed So Far

From the town Department of Public Works latest quarterly report (April through June):

  • “Eversource Gas Energy Company has planned both resiliency and replacement programs for natural gas distribution systems in Darien. Planned locations are [with status of each]:
  • All of Greenwood Avenue (completed, not expansion project)
  • Hoyt Street from the intersection of Greenwood Avenue to the New Canaan Town Line (33 percent completed, not expansion project)
  • West Avenue from the intersection of Brown Street to the Boston Post Road (50 percent completed)
  • All of Leroy Avenue (0 percent completed)
  • Middlesex Road from Leroy Avenue to High School Lane (0 percent completed)
  • All of High School Lane (0 percent completed)
  • Noroton Avenue from the intersection of West Avenue north to fire house (to service fire house; 0 percent completed)
  • Hilton Street from the intersection of West Avenue to terminus (to serve Middlesex Middle School; completed)
  • Edgerton Street from the intersection of West Avenue south to intersection of Heights Road (completed)
  • Ledge Road from the intersection of Boston Post Road to the new DPW garage (completed)
  • All of McLaren Road and MicLaren Road South (0 percent completed)
Map Gas Mains in Darien installed in 2018

Map from Eversource

The new gas mains follow West Avenue from an area just west of the intersection of West Avenue and Brown Street to Leroy Avenue, and then from Leroy Avenue to High School Lane. Other streets include all of Ridgely Street, McLaren Road and a short stretch of Noroton Avenue between West Avenue and Noroton Heights Fire Department. Not shown here: Gas mains will also be installed under all of Greenwood Avenue and then north on Hoyt Street to the New Canaan border.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 10:05:34 GMT Server: Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS) PHP/7.2.34 X-Powered-By: PHP/7.2.34 Link: ; rel="https://api.w.org/", ; rel=shortlink X-TEC-API-VERSION: v1 X-TEC-API-ROOT: https://newcanaanite.com/wp-json/tribe/events/v1/ X-TEC-API-ORIGIN: https://newcanaanite.com Vary: Accept-Encoding Cache-Control: max-age=3600 Expires: Sun, 20 Jun 2021 11:05:34 GMT Referrer-Policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=99 Connection: Keep-Alive Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8 2000 Attorney for Lunch Lady: Schools’ Losses the Result of ‘Systemic Negligence’ | NewCanaanite.com Attorney for Lunch Lady: Schools’ Losses the Result of ‘Systemic Negligence’ – NewCanaanite.com

Attorney for Lunch Lady: Schools’ Losses the Result of ‘Systemic Negligence’

More

The cafeteria at Saxe Middle School had “complicated revenue streams” and income that “went beyond traditional lunch lines,” according to an attorney for one of the women charged last month with felony larceny in connection with what authorities call the theft of nearly $500,000 from New Canaan Public Schools.

Snack lines at the school “generated significant amounts of income” and Joanne Pascarelli, though she oversaw the food program at Saxe, “wasn’t in charge of any of those revenue streams,” Stamford-based attorney Darnell Crosland told reporters following her first court appearance Tuesday morning.

In researching the case, Crosland said, his firm has learned that the school district had “systemic negligence.”

“The school as a result of its systemic negligence lost money, of which they made a negligence claim to the insurance company and the insurance company to our understanding reimbursed them every dime of that loss,” Crosland said.

His comments came minutes after Pascarelli, 61, of Norwalk, appeared before Judge Stephanie McLaughlin in state Superior Court in Norwalk. She and her sister, 67-year-old Marie Wilson of Wilton, formerly the assistant food director at New Canaan High School, were arrested by New Canaan Police on Aug. 11 and 12 and charged with first-degree larceny after what police described as years-long thefts of cash from registers in the school cafterias. 

Crosland and Wilson’s attorney, Stamford-based Mark Sherman, both said they intend to enter not guilty pleas on behalf of their clients. 

Neither woman said a word during brief appearances before McLaughlin, who officially transferred their cases to state Superior Court in Stamford. 

Wearing a white blouse, black trousers and flat black shoes and carrying a shoulder bag, Wilson stood by Sherman as he requested that media members not be allowed to videotape or photograph her during the hearing because “it might unfairly prejudice our client’s right to a fair trial”—a request that McLaughlin denied. (During the very short appearance, McLaughlin did disclose for the record that Wilson’s daughter had worked as a legal assistant at the law firm where the judge used to be employed.) 

Pascarelli, dressed in a black sleeveless shirt, pants and sandals, stood beside Crosland as he mentioned the possibility of a future application for “accelerated rehabilitation” or ‘AR’ for his client. A diversionary program for first-time offenders, AR is a form of parole that typically sees criminal charges dropped if an arrested person meets specific criteria, such as not re-offending for a period of time.

Crosland in addressing the press said it’s rare that a court would grant AR given the seriousness of the charge in this case. He’s asking the prosecution to drop the criminal charge outright.

“What we are asking the prosecution to do now is look at this case as simply a negligence case upon which they have foreseeable losses, and they insured against those losses, and the school system was reimbursed for those losses,” he said. “And we ask that Mrs. Pascarelli be given a chance to live in peace, with her pension, and so that she can move on with her life after 30 years of service.”

He referred to the length of Pascarelli’s employment with the district.

According to Crosland, in cases such as this, prosecutors generally bring an additional conspiracy charge, “and that didn’t happen here.”

“And I think that’s because there is no basis for conspiracy,” he said. “It’s simply a loss that the school suffered. There is no evidence that they worked in concert with each other.”

Referring to the state’s case, he said: “They are basically throwing stuff against the wall to see if it sticks.”

The news story of the sisters’ arrest made national news, and a reporter from a New York City tabloid was among those covering the women’s would-be arraignments Tuesday.

Asked how Pascarelli is faring, Crosland said she’s frustrated and eager to spend time with her grandchildren as this is “not what you expect” in her stage of life.

Sherman in speaking to reporters after the court appearance said Wilson is “hanging in there” and “looking forward to getting through the criminal court process.”

The women are to be arraigned Sept. 10 in Stamford.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *