New Canaan in recent days surpassed 1,000 cases of COVID-19 since the pandemic began last year, according to data from the state.
The town as of 4 p.m. Tuesday had 1,009 cumulative confirmed cases of the virus, according to the Connecticut Department of Public Health.
Up 24 from last week, the tally is roughly the same as neighboring Darien and about 100 more cases than Wilton, the DPH data show.
In addition, New Canaan has 67 probable cases of COVID-19 and has had a total of 40 confirmed and probable deaths due to the virus, according to the DPH.
The town passes the 1,000-case mark as municipal officials, led by New Canaan Health Director Jenn Eielson, administer vaccine allocated by the state to those 65-and-older.
During a town-wide outcall Tuesday, First Selectman Kevin Moynihan said that 300 town residents 65-and-older had received an initial dose of vaccine last week. New Canaan seniors 75-and-older who’d received a first dose in January are to get the second dose Thursday, he said.
Gov. Ned Lamont said Tuesday that he anticipates the state next week will receive a 22% increase in supply of vaccine from the federal government. Lamont said he also anticipates that in the coming weeks, people aged 16 to 64 with underlying health conditions, and frontline essential workers, will be cleared to receive COVID-19 vaccine.
The state also is now thinking about expanding allowable capacity at commercial venues for private, social and recreational events, with likely limits to come of 50% capacity capped at 100 people for indoor events, and capacity of up to 200 people for outdoor events.
“The governor noted that the effective date of this expansion is dependent upon the continued stability in the state’s COVID-19 metrics,” Lamont’s office said in a press release. “However, he is aware that event planners need time to organize, which is why he wanted to give advance notice of what his administration is considering.”
Most of New Canaan’s new COVIID-19 virus cases “continue to be due to family transmission and in adolescents” aged 10 to 22, Moynihan said in this week’s outcall, adding, “Our health director continues to remind families to try to isolate a positive family member to the extent possible from the rest of the household.”