With New Canaan’s Family Fourth Celebration canceled this year many may want to try their hand at backyard celebrations. The New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office wishes to make sure everyone knows about fireworks safety.
Only sparklers and “shower” type fireworks are legal to sell and use in Connecticut. No aerial or exploding type fireworks are permitted to be sold or used in the state.
- Only persons 16 years and older may use the above fireworks.
- Always keep at least 30’ away from spectators and structures and strictly follow manufacturer’s instructions.
- Make sure you are in a clear, open area with no dry vegetation or other combustibles that
can easily ignite.
- Never lean over a display when igniting.
- Always have a garden hose or bucket of water available.
- If a display fails to discharge (a dud), NEVER look into it or pick it up – let it sit and then
scoop it with a shovel and dunk it in a pail of water.
- Remember, most pets are terrified of fireworks so take necessary precautions to keep
- Never ignite fireworks while holding them, always have a level, stable surface to set them on.
- Be extremely careful of sparklers – the metal sticks become red hot and can cause severe burns – have a bucket of water available to dunk them in when they have expired.
- Be mindful of neighbors and their safety.
- Don’t throw used fireworks directly in the trash – keep them in a separate noncombustible container for at least 24 hrs. or soak them in a bucket of water to make sure there are no
For any questions regarding fireworks or any other fire safety questions please contact the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office at 594-3030. Have a happy and safe Fourth of July.