The Park Street location is just south of its former spot on the corner at Pine/Cherry, currently Mrs. Green’s. The Locust Avenue location is roughly opposite Joe’s Pizza, just east of the public parking lot.
The two properties “have been reviewed as possible new locations for the New Canaan Main Post Office,” according to a letter to First Selectman Rob Mallozzi that’s posted in the window of the current location at 90 Main St., from U.S. Postal Service Real Estate Specialist Joseph J. Mulvey.
“No final decision to select a site will be made for a minimum of 30 days,” Mulvey said in the letter. “Any member of the community or your office may offer written comments on any of these properties within this time frame.”
Here’s the address where those letters can be mailed:
- Joseph Mulvey, U.S. Postal Service, 2 Congress Street, Room 8, Milford, MA 01757
The Post Office’s current lease at 90 Main St.—which has proven to be a difficult location for parking in the downtown, a problem that the soon-to-reopen Town Hall is expected to exacerbate—expires in the spring, officials have said. Town, business and government leaders met in November with U.S. Post Office officials to help facilitate the identification of a workable long-term location in New Canaan.
Mulvey also included a list of sites rejected as future locations, and reasons why:
- 16 Cross St.—Loading configuration
- 21 Forest St.—Loading configuration
- 100 Cherry St.—Proponent withdrew proposal
- 59 Pine St.—No firm offer received
- 15 Grove St.—Size, accessibility
- 182 Main St.—Size, accessibility
- 50 Main St.—Access, loading and maneuvering issues
Here’s the Park Street location:
And here’s Locust Avenue: