News
New Canaan Now & Then: The Train Station
|
The New Canaan Station, located at 198 Elm Street, has been called many names since its founding, including “The Canaan Union Station,” “New Canaan Railroad,” and “The Next Station to Heaven.” Its history dates back to the mid-1800s as New Canaanites wished to expand their prominent shoe manufacturing industry and looked to a railroad. Other towns such as Norwalk and Stamford had installed train lines and were experiencing an increase in wealth. In 1867, construction began for a gothic-revival style train station, a roundhouse, and a freight station that would be able to ship New Canaan’s commodities across Connecticut and further. The freight station was built directly across from the train station. The roundhouse was located most likely in the parking lot of 21 Grove St.( the current location of Weed & Duryea.) New Canaan citizens raised approximately $264,000 through the sale of “rolling stock.”




