New Canaan’s fire marshal is reminding residents that fireplace ashes can remain hot for several days, after a garbage truck fire on Conrad Road last week appeared to be caused by a “hot load.”
Emergency responders were called to the area of 51 Conrad Road at about 7:58 a.m. on Feb. 4 on a report of a truck fire.
There, they found the garbage truck with its contents on fire, which required the operator to dump the load into the road so that it could be extinguished without damaging the vehicle, according to Fire Marshal Fred Baker.
“The likely cause of the fire was fire place ashes that had been disposed of from the weekend,” Baker said in a press release. “Fortunately, there were no injuries. Also, fortunately for some homeowner, their garbage pickup was Monday morning and not Tuesday morning—the fire would have been in their home.”
In addition to allowing fireplace ashes to cool, the ashes if they must be removed should go into an approved metal container with a tight lid, Baker said.
“As a side note, it was noted during the extinguishment of the fire, several containers of spray paint were observed mixed with the household trash,” Baker said. “Hazardous waste should not be mixed with household trash.”
New Canaan will host a Household Hazardous Waste Day at the Transfer Station later this, currently scheduled for Sept. 14, Baker said.
For any questions regarding this or any other fire safety info, please call the Fire Marshal’s Office at 203-594-3030.