[Editor’s Note: This week, we will feature a daily Q&A with a local food service establishment working to remain open and operating under health and public safety restrictions due to the COVID-19 emergency.]
We start with one of New Canaan’s best-loved eateries, Cherry Street East. Here’s our exchange with Mary Bianco Bergin, a 1993 New Canaan High School graduate who owns the popular restaurant with her husband, John Bergin. Cherry Street is open 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday for pickup.
New Canaanite: What has this past week been like for you?
Mary Bianco: It has been very stressful and emotionally exhausting. Worrying about our staff and community plus our personal family, this is something you are never prepared for. We are trying to our best to band together and help each other out and stay positive.
How are you faring business-wise?
We assume like every other restaurant in town, just trying to hang on while trying to stay optimistic.
How would you gauge your ability to outlast this?
On a scale of 1-10, an optimistic 7.
How is your staff?
Our staff is more like an extension of our family. They have been with us through thick and thin and are very resilient and hopeful that this will all work out. Packing to-go’s and being in the restaurant helps them and us find even the smallest bit of normalcy in this very abnormal time.
What have you been hearing from customers during this time?
We truly have the very best customers. They have shown us nothing but love and appreciation and the feeling is beyond mutual. It has been wonderful seeing so many regulars pulling up in the parking lot getting to go food. We miss them so much and can’t wait to get them back in the booths.
What have your most popular menu items been since switching to outside pickup?
If you can believe it, our burgers—especially the Vermonster. Also, popular meals are the Buffalo Chicken Sandwich, Philly Cheese Steak, Penne a la Vodka, Taco Salad and Kids Meals.
What is your message for customers?
As always, Thank you. We miss you and stay well.
- Sign up for an appointment for drive-thru testing for COVID-19 here.
- Here’s the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention COVID-19 homepage. Here’s the virus-related page on the Connecticut Department of Public Health website.
- Here’s a link to a page on the town’s website that includes information on COVID-19 and a link to sign up for New Canaan’s emergency outcall system.
- Here is the updated list of what is open and closed in New Canaan.
- Here’s a link to the New Canaan Office of Emergency Management Facebook page.
- Here’s a landing page with information from New Canaan Public Schools on COVID-19, here’s the district’s main page for E-Learning.