New Canaan Teen Charged in Connection with Threat Made Through Social Media [UPDATED]

Print More

Update 2:30 p.m. Friday

Police arrested a 17-year-old juvenile in connection with the threat made through social media targeting students at New Canaan High School.

The teen, a New Canaan resident, was charged with breach of peace.

Police withheld the teen’s name because of his or her age.

The threat was determined not to be credible, police said.

Update 12:30 p.m. Friday

Police say they received word at 6:50 a.m. Friday regarding a “potential threat to the students at the high school” that had been made on social media.

Made via social media, the threat “was generic in its content but raised concerns of the school administration,” according to a press release issued by Police Lt. Jason Ferraro.

An investigation is underway to establish “nature of the threat “ and determine who issued it, Ferraro said in the press release.

“If evidence of any criminal wrongdoing is discovered the New Canaan Police will take appropriate action,” he said.

Original Article

Police have increased the presence of officers at New Canaan High School after a student contacted the principal regarding social media posts, officials say.

In an email to parents Friday with the subject line “Police this morning,” Principal Bill Egan said that the student had reported “concerning chatter that was occurring on social media.”

The chatter “did not contain any specific threats or information,” though “it did alarm a number of students,” Egan said in the email.

“Out of an abundance of caution, this morning we increased our police presence on campus. While there was not a specific threat or danger, our response, in partnership with the NC Police Department, demonstrates once again that student safety is our highest priority.”

On Monday afternoon, police arrested a 16-year-old male NCHS student for breach of peace after the Police Department’s school resource officer a report that he had threatened fellow students.

It wasn’t immediately clear whether the incidents are connected.

Egan said he would contact parents with updates. As of 830 a.m. Friday, police had released no information regarding new charges. 

“As you know, we have zero tolerance for anything that is in any way threatening to our students and/or our school,” Egan said in the email. ‘Our schools are safest when we maintain open lines of communication and work together, and this morning’s police presence shows once again.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *