As the holiday season fast approaches the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office wishes all residents a safe and healthy season and offers the following tips:
- Candles and holidays go hand in hand and add wonderful warmth to the festive atmosphere. Candles must be kept away from other combustible decorations and never be left unattended. Battery operated candles are a good alternative.
- Christmas trees must be kept watered so they remain moist.
- Make sure Christmas lights and other electrical fixtures are in good working order.
Do not overload outlets.
- Outdoor lights should be plugged into GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupter) outlets.
- Space heaters must be properly plugged directly into wall outlets and kept clear of combustibles.
- In the kitchen use the timer on your phone to remind you of pots left on the stove.
- Embers from fireplace ashes can remain hot for several days. If cleaning is necessary use a proper metal container with tight fitting lid for disposal.
- Always use a fireplace screen to contain flying embers.
- Make sure smoke and CO detectors are present and operating properly. If you have a security system with smoke detectors, make sure it has it been serviced in the past year.
For questions regarding these tips or any fire safety questions please contact the New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office at 203-594-3030.