New Canaan Police Chief Leon Krolikowski said Tuesday that another motor vehicle had been stolen in the morning from a New Canaan driveway.
The 2017 Audi A7 Premium was stolen from a Turtleback Road residence—it was unlocked with the keys inside according to Krolikowski. (See videos above and below.)
Another vehicle in the same driveway, also unlocked though its keys were not inside, was entered, though nothing was taken from it, the chief said in a press release.
News of the theft comes one day after Krolikowski issued the prevention tips below because a pair of unlocked Range Rovers with keys inside had been stolen from a Valley Road driveway. Krolikowski in the past has said the thefts appear to be committed by gangs in the New Haven area.
Again, the prevention tips:
- Keys: When unattended NEVER leave the keys to your home or car inside a vehicle or in a place where a thief can find them. Do not leave the valet key, key fob or garage door opener inside of your vehicle.
- Light up your home: At night, keep the perimeter of your home & driveway well lit. Low energy lighting switched on and off by photoelectric sensors (low light switches) is a cost-effective way to discourage criminals.
- Lock up: ALWAYS lock all doors, garage doors and windows of your car and home whenever you leave, day or night, even for a short time. If you have a garage, put your car in it and lock/alarm both the car and the garage. All of the thefts from vehicles and vehicle thefts that occur in our Town involve unlocked vehicles.
- Secure valuables: NEVER leave valuables in your vehicle. Often, identity theft occurs when drivers’ licenses and credit cards are stolen.
- Use your alarm system: ALWAYS activate your home and car alarm systems. Many successful crimes that occur in our Town involve houses or cars that have alarm systems that were not activated.
- Video cameras: Consider a video security system for your home. Many good systems are inexpensive and easy to install. If you have a system, make sure the video quality is good and the cameras cover your driveway and vehicles.
Be better informed, connected, and send anonymous tips to our Department by downloading the “MYPD” application in the iPhone or Android marketplace.After downloading the application search for “New Canaan” and get connected. Follow NCPD on Twitter@newcanaanpolice for crime alerts. Never hesitate to contact NCPD at 203-594-3500 for assistance.