Colonial Court Homeowner Working with Officials on Possible Preservation of Prominent House

The owner of a Colonial Court home that’s slated for demolition is reviewing alternatives brought forward by a town committee that encourages preservation of significant local buildings, according to her daughter. Michelle Cardone, whose elderly mother Sandra owns the 1933-built home at 9 Colonial Court and now requires single-floor living, said when asked about plans for the house, “We also have a new architect reviewing all the plans as well as our specific needs to determine whether there is any way to save any part of the existing house and incorporate it into our plans.”

“He has experience with older homes,” Michelle Cardone told NewCanaanite.com in an email. “The Historical Review Committee and all our neighbors have also been made aware of this status.”

Michelle Cardone is expected to attend a meeting of the Committee at 9 a.m. Thursday. Members of the Committee started talks with the Cardones after the application to demolish the house was filed Oct. 21 with the New Canaan Building Department. 

The Committee on Nov.

Demolition Delay on Colonial Court Home Ends Jan. 19

The planned demolition of a fieldstone-clad house on Colonial Court that some in town have called architecturally significant is slated to go forward Jan. 19, according to the most publicly available information. 

Though town officials on Nov. 12 imposed a 90-day delay on the demolition of the 1933-built house at 9 Colonial Court, that delay lifts Jan. 19. 

Following the Historical Review Committee’s 4-0 vote to delay demolition in hopes of preserving the two-story, three-bedroom house at the end of the cul-de-sac, which runs west off of South Avenue near the downtown, the appointed body’s chair, Mark Markiewicz emailed the owner’s daughter to thank her for “participating in our endeavor,” according to a Nov. 15 email.

Town Delays Demo of Colonial Court Home After Neighbors, Preservationists Object 

Saying the structure is architecturally significant, members of a town committee last week imposed a 90-day delay on the planned demolition of a 1933-built fieldstone-clad house on Colonial Court. 

The Historical Review Committee voted 4-0 to impose the delay on 9 Colonial Court, a two-story, three-bedroom house at the end of the cul-de-sac, which runs west off of South Avenue near the downtown. 

Under the Town Code, if the town building official receives a written objection to demolition within 15 days of public notice, the matter is referred to the appointed Committee to determine whether the structure is “of an age, style, condition or character that is of historical, architectural or cultural significance to the Town of New Canaan”—and if it is, a delay of up to 90 days can be imposed on demolition. Committee member Marty Skrelunas said the house in question here meets the criteria and is “worthy of conversation before any dramatic change takes place.”

“The street itself, as pointed out by the neighbors, is truly one of the last intact streets in New Canaan,” he said. “And it was certainly designed and built around a certain design criteria. That’s readily apparent. And while I also understand that the house can be replaced, that’s perfectly legitimate if that does happen, I would urge that if there is a delay, time is spent to understand the scale, the setback and other qualities that that anchor of a house has, to respect the scale and dignity of the neighborhood.”

Skrelunas added that “there are certain design solutions that can make the house much larger, that can meet the needs of the current owner, but I do think those design needs can also address the scale and character of the neighborhood.”

“It does maintain a good, uniform setback along the street, and building height, and the trend of new houses of coursed is to raise every floor by a foot or two,” he said.