The chief of the New Canaan Police Department is warning residents about a text-messaging scam that’s targeting local people.
On Thursday, New Canaan residents reported receiving unsolicited text messages from the phone number 203-571-3124, according to a press release issued by Chief Leon Krolikowski.
“The scammer demanded payment or the residents’ family members would be harmed,” Krolikowski said in the release “These messages are scams and are a part of a national trend.”
Through the first nine months of 2021, police have received 26 total reports of fraud, according to statistics released at the most recent Police Commission meeting.
Krolikowski issued these tips for residents:
- Never give personal information to unknown persons over the telephone or electronically.
- Be suspicious of unsolicited telephone calls, voice messages, text messages, and e-mails.
- Never communicate with these scammers and block the scammer’s telephone number and e-mail address.
- Never wire or send money in response to an unknown person who makes an unexpected demand.
- Contact our police department at 203-594-3500 for assistance and we will help.