The New Canaan Fire Marshal’s Office offers the following information for residents with the upcoming outdoor cooking season.
Gas Grill Safety Tips
- Always follow manufacturer’s instructions for assembly, operation, maintenance, repair and storage. Consult owner’s manual.
- Always turn control knobs to off and tank valve to closed when not in use.
- Inspect grill and tank before each use for damage or wear. Replace worn grill parts as needed, especially hoses and regulators.
- Using soapy water, check tank and valve for leaks. Open the valve, but leave the appliance off while testing.
- Before lighting grill, always open grill lid.
- Never move a grill that is in use.
Never store a spare tank beneath a grill.
- Never store or use flammable liquids, like gasoline, near the grill.
- Keep grills at least 3 feet away from structures and other combustibles.
- Gas grills should not be placed on balconies. Grills are prohibited on decks and balconies in apartment buildings.
- Never use gas or charcoal grills indoors.
- When transporting tanks for refilling they must be kept in the upright position and secured against “rolling around”.
- Tanks should never be transported in trunks due to the heat that can build up in the sun. Trips should be direct to refill station and back to minimize time in the car.
- When reinstalling the tanks make sure connections are secure.
- Enjoy your meal!
If anyone has further questions please feel free to contact us at 594-3030.