Police on Friday received complaints of multiple unlocked vehicles that had been entered early that morning, officials said.
Items stolen from the vehicles on Summit Ridge and Field Crest Roads include cellphone chargers, loose change, a laptop computer, medication, checks and clothes, according to New Canaan Police Chief Leon Krolikowski.
“It is probable that these crimes are being committed by gang members,” Krolikowski said in a press release. “Many towns in Fairfield County are experiencing similar crimes.”
New Canaan and other are towns are regularly targeted by car thieves and others, officials have said. The latest news comes days after police arrested a pair of Connecticut residents in connection with residential burglaries in eastern New Canaan.
Last week’s thefts could have been prevented if motor vehicle owners had observed these safety tips:
- KEYS: When unattended NEVER leave the key to your home or key/key fob to your car inside a vehicle or in a place where a thief can find them. Do not leave the valet key, key fob or garage door opener inside of your vehicle.
- LIGHT UP YOUR HOME: At night, keep the perimeter of your home & driveway well lit. Low energy lighting switched on and off by photoelectric sensors (low light switches) is a cost-effective way to discourage criminals.
- LOCK-UP: ALWAYS lock all doors, garage doors and windows of your car and home whenever you leave, day or night, even for a short time. If you have a garage, put your car in it and lock/alarm both the car and the garage. All of the thefts from vehicles and vehicle thefts that occur in our Town involve unlocked vehicles.
- SECURE VALUABLES: NEVER leave valuables in your vehicle. Often, identity theft occurs when drivers’ licenses and credit cards are stolen.
- USE YOUR ALARM SYSTEM: ALWAYS activate your home and car alarm systems. Many successful crimes that occur in our Town involve houses or cars that have alarm systems that were not activated.
- SECURITY-VIDEO CAMERAS: Consider installing a security/video camera that covers the interior/exterior of your residence and the street near it. The price point of good quality camera systems has dropped recently making this a wise investment.